Education- MS Master's of Science in TESOL, Central Connecticut State University, 2011, GPA: 3.9
-BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology, Central Connecticut State University, 2008
- TESOL Certificate (100 hour course)
ExperienceMS in TESOL, TESOL Certification, and 6 years' teaching experience!
I have been an ESL teacher and tutor for 6 years now and enjoy seeing my students improve their communication skills in English! I've taught many students from the Middle East, South America, China, Korea, and Japan, and I'm familiar with the difficulties of each nationality because I'm familiar with each language. I love teaching ESL because it allows me to meet students from a variety of backgrounds and learn about other cultures. I would like to help students learn vocabulary, speaking, and reading so they can become more aware of issues in the world (since many interesting articles are written in English only). If you are looking to prepare for the TOEFL, I have several years of experience preparing students for this test and would love to help you. I guarantee I can help you:
- use new vocabulary to remember it
- improve your natural conversation
- reduce your accent
- improve your academic writing
Please see a list of my experience and skills below:
- Master's Degree in Teach English as a Second Language (TESOL)
- TESOL Certification (100-hour course)
- Currently teaching in Chinatown, Boston at the Boston Chinatown Neighborhood Center
- 1 year experience teaching academic English to students at University of New Haven, CT
- 1 year experience helping students ages 12-24 in a writing center with proofreading essays, improving organization, and expressing ideas clearly.
- 1 year experience teaching English to adults in Japan (2/12-3/13)
- 3 mo. experience tutoring Koreans working in business (5/09-8/09)
- 1-year experience teaching ESL in Shenzhen, China to high school students (9/08-5/09)
- 6 months experience teaching ESL to Elementary school students at BaoHua Language Institute, Shenzhen, China (12/08-2/09)
- Conversational Mandarin Chinese, HSK level 6
I look forward to meeting and getting to know you!
HobbiesI enjoy cross-country running, hiking, snowboarding, and have an interest in other languages and culture. I also like making music with my mouth (a technique known as "beatboxing")!
Inquire about this tutor
The tutor will respond if they are available/interested.