Weekdays in the evening
Texas Woman’s University, Denton, Texas December 2012
Master of Arts, English
Texas State University, San Marcos, Texas July 2003
Bachelor of Arts, Double Major
First Major: Print Journalism/ Second Major: English
University of Castellae, Valladolid, Spain July 2002
Bunker Hill Community College May, 2015 - present
• Adjunct Professor- Developmental Reading 095; a course designed to help students build reading and comprehension skills, as well as develop analytical and critical thinking.
• Literacy Coach- College Connection; a program designed to provide tutoring and campus resources to students in Reading and Writing courses at BHCC.
USA Schools, Everett, MA August 2013 – March 2015
• Resident Assistant for international students residing at Pope John High School.
• Foster a healthy living and learning experience for students, as well as introduce them to the wide history and cultures of Boston, MA.
YALE UNIVERSITY, New Haven, CT Summer, 2014
Residence Director, EXPLO
• Managed Welch Hall, an all-girls dorm on Yale’s Old Campus for a college prep camp called Exploration.
• Duties included all aspects of dorm and student life comprising of discipline, health, safety, and student conduct.
• Supervised ten Welch Hall Resident Advisors, as well as acting as their resource and support system.
• Worked in Dean’s office for various administrative responsibilities, including communicating with parents about numerous student concerns.
RICHLAND COMMUNITY COLLEGE, Dallas, Texas
Academic Advisor, Academic Advising
August 2011- June 2013 & August 2006 – August 2008
• Provided academic advisement to students and/or potential students using a variety of resources by DCCCD and other colleges, universities and related organizations.
• Responsible for student registration, degree planning, offering transfer information, and participation in OAR (Orientation).
EOSL Instructor, AECI & ILC January 2011 – May 2011
• Writing and grammar instructor for ILC (Intensive Learning Community) and AECI
• Actively engaged with students in accelerated coursework.
• Introduced topics and activities involving American life and culture.
Associate Professor, Writing August 2004 – May 2006
Course 1: Developmental Writing 0090 is a course designed to introduce students to the writing process.
• Emphasized basic sentence skills and development of ideas into paragraphs and short essays.
Course 2: Developmental Writing 0091: Taught students how to use the writing process to develop short to medium length essays.
• Focus is on paragraph- and essay-level revision and applying the writing process in a variety of academic contexts.
RICHLAND COMMUNITY COLLEGE, Dallas, Texas
THE LEARNING CENTER
Teacher, Connections Workshop March, 2004 – August, 2005
Proofreading and Editing Workshop:
• Limited-seated, academic workshop
• Taught students how to check the final copy of their essays for inconsistencies and grammar and punctuation errors.
Personal Statement Workshop
• Three-part series I created for the Richland Connections Club
• Showed students how to approach, organize, write and final check their individual personal essays for University admission.
Tutor, ACCESS 1-to-1 Lab June 2005 – August 2005
• Assisted students with disabilities with writing assignments.
• Tutorials focused on grammar, punctuation, and style.
• Employed different proactive learning strategies and approaches with each student to encourage confidence and increase skill in the writing process.
Tutor II, Writing Center June 2004 – August 2006
• Assessed student's writing assignments.
• Emphasized grammar, punctuation, and style, and engaged students in improving the quality of their writing.
DALLAS MORNING NEWS, Dallas, Texas
Neighbors Newspapers, Allen & McKinney March 2006 - August 2006
• Wrote and edited briefs and weekly community calendars for Allen Neighbors and McKinney Neighbors newspapers.
• Wrote spotlight stories about events or people in the community.
• Performed other editing tasks and collaborated with editors weekly to offer input for each publication.
Intern, D MAGAZINE, Dallas, Texas August 2003 – December 2003
• Participated in research, writing, and editing articles for D Magazine's sister publication, D Home.
DALLAS MORNING NEWS METRO, correspondent 2006
PEOPLE NEWSPAPERS, correspondent 2006
SAN ANTONIO-EXPRESS NEWS, correspondent 2002
SIGMA TAU DELTA, Texas Woman’s University, Member Jan. 2012 – Dec. 2012
• Sigma Tau Delta’s central purpose is to confer distinction upon outstanding students of the English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies.
HABESHA STUDENT UNION, Club Advisor and Founder Jan. 2008 – May 2008
• HSU was a club that invited students and faculty who are of Ethiopian or Eritrean heritage, or are interested in Ethiopian or Eritrean culture, to participate in activities and events geared toward promoting a relationship between the academic community and both countries.
RICHLAND CONNECTIONS CLUB, Mentor August 2004 – July 2005
• Contributed to the student members of the Connections Club through advising, workshops, tutorials, and by participating in club projects and excursions.
HOSTELLING INTERNATIONAL, Boston, Volunteer August 2013 – May 2014
• Volunteered on a monthly basis to take travelers on tours of the city; including Harvard, Central Square, Boston Common and Faneuil Hall.
10th Grade, 9th Grade Writing, British Literature, Writing, World Literature, Vocabulary, Summer Tutoring, Reading, Literature, Literary Analysis, 3rd Grade Writing, 3rd Grade Reading, 2nd Grade Reading, 10th Grade Writing, 11th Grade Reading, 10th Grade Reading, 11th Grade Writing, 12th Grade Writing, 12th Grade Reading, 1st Grade Writing, 1st Grade Reading, 2nd Grade Writing, English
Inquire about this tutor
The tutor will respond if they are available/interested.